I have fallen in love with the idea of using vegetables to get the creaminess in my dishes. Which led me to try this out with Pumpkin in a Pasta :-)
Nothing like making a sauce with a fresh pumpkin! Would prefer that any day to canned stuff.
There are many varieties of pumpkin and I have used this variety for the recipe (See Image Below). It is called Kumbhalakai in Kannada and has a sweetish favor.
You can use many ways to make pumpkin sauce. I referred to the article below and went with the BOIL option as it was the Quickest and i was super hungry :D. With ample time in hand I would prefer the BAKE option as that would give a nice roasted flavor to the dish and fill my house with a sweet pumpkin aroma. Yes.. That's exactly why I dint do it !! The aroma accelerated my hunger :-D (P.S. i did start with the BAKE option and changed my mind in 15 minutes)
I love all vegetables and tend to cook with what is available. (Not to mention my fridge will always have some veggies). In this dish i used zucchini & carrot. Pumpkin itself has such a lovely flavor which you do not want to overpower with too many vegetables. As they say "Less is more". In fact this dish would work beautifully with just mushroom and basil for me (Next try!). So go ahead and find your own combination :-). You could steam your vegetables or just cook them in the prepared sauce if you don't mind them a little crunchy.
1 Cup whole wheat Fusilli Pasta
1 Cup chopped veggies (Carrots & Zuccini)
Few garlic cloves
2 Tbs Olive oil
Salt to taste
Coriander to garnish
1. De-seed, Peel And chop pumpkin into evenly sized pieces. Add to boiling water enough to almost submerge the pieces. Cook for 25 minutes or until the flesh is tender when pierced. Keep aside to cool.
2. Meanwhile put your pasta to boil as per instructions on the box. (Remember to add salt while boiling it)
3. Drain the pumpkin pieces and puree them in a blender with few garlic cloves which have been sauteed in olive oil. You can adjust the thickness with little water. Add salt and pepper to the sauce as per taste.
4. In the same oil, saute your chopped vegetables for a few seconds.(Delay for steamed veges) Pour in the creamy sauce and let it cook your veges for 2 Mins.
5. Throw in the cooked pasta and mix it all up to get a golden creamy pasta dish !
6. Garnish with Coriander greens and devour :-)